This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.


Borders Family History Society

Society Logo
Home Join
Us
Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Blog Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Help

Our Archive and Search Room is open from 10am - 4pm on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays - no appointment needed. Keep up to date via our Facebook page and Twitter.


Teviothead

Roxburghshire map

Teviothead, an upland Parish in the south of Roxburghshire, which lies on the border with Dumfriesshire was created in 1850 out of the Parishes of Hawick and Cavers. It is now linked to the Parish of Wilton. The Parish of Roberton in Selkirkshire lies to the north-west, the Parish of Hawick is to the north-east, and that of Kirkton lies to the east and Cavers, whilst the Parish of Castleton, is on the south-east.

Old Parish Records cover the periods:

  • Births: 1824 to 1854.
  • Marriages: refer to Hawick or Cavers.
  • Deaths: refer to Hawick or Cavers..
Teviothead Parish Church Teviothead Parish Church

Sales List

See our sales list for full details and cost of postage.

Volumes available for consultation within our Archive

Magazine Articles;

Please note that the heading Author includes persons who have compiled or transcribed records; and that the topics indexed, and the synopses are subjective opinions.
See the Sales List to buy copies of the magazines containing articles in which you're interested.


Title Synopsis Size Description Issue No Author
A Davidson Family in TeviotheadA history of the family of Davidson, originally from Canonbie who settled in Teviothead.2 pages or more 95Walter F Davidson & Deidre McKenzie 


Map of Teviothead from UK Great Britain, Ordnance Survey one-inch to the mile (1:63,360), 'Hills' edition, 1885-1903
by kind permission of the National Library of Scotland.
Use the control at the top left of the map to zoom in or out and drag the map left, right, up, or down as you wish.


Map of Teviothead from UK Ordnance Survey Historical Maps from 1919-1947
by kind permission of the National Library of Scotland.
Use the control at the top left of the map to zoom in or out and drag the map left, right, up, or down as you wish.

Other Sources

Scottish Borders Archives, The Hub Hawick

School Records

Hawick Archaeological Society

Websites

Village Website
Photographs of World War 1 Gravestones.
Stobie's Map of Roxburghshire of 1770
The RCAHMS website Scotland's Places contains details of;

Place and Farm names in Census Records;

1851 census: Teviothead, Castleweary, Phaup, Linnhope, Foley Grain, Mosspaul, Wisp, Limiecleuch, Blackcleuch, Commonbrae, Merrylaw, Giddenscleuch, Rashiegrain, Ramsiecleuchburn, Hislop, Lairhope, Priesthaugh, Skelfhill, Houdshall, Doecleuch, Shankfoot, Loughburnfoot, Stobbitcoat, Broadhaugh, Northhousehaugh, Teinsidebridgend, Mossieknow, Binks, Bowanhillbridge, Henderson Know, Backwater, Hatknow, Harwood, Slatehills, Commonside, Dryden, Falnash.

1861 census:Teviothead, Castleweary, Phaup, Linhope, Mosspaul, Wisp, Lairhope, Limiecleuch, Blackcleuch, Commonbrae, Giddenscleuch, Rashiegrain, Ramsiecleuchburn, Hislop, Foulage, Skelfhill, Southdeanriggshiel, Priesthaugh, Doccleuch, Carlenrigg, Loughburnfoot, Stobbitcoat, Broughshankfoot, Binks, Henderson's Know, Glednest, Bowanhill, Colterscleuch, Oldbar, Mossieknow, Teindsidebridge, Northhouse, Broadhaugh, Commonside, Teindside, Hayknow, Harwood.

Population;

The population has been recorded as follows:

Roxburghshire map