Our Archive and Search Room is open every Tuesday and Thursday from 10am to 4pm; and by appointment only on Mondays from 6pm to 8pm and on Fridays from 10am to 4pm.
From March to October, we're open without appointment on Mondays from 6pm to 8pm and on Fridays from 10am to 4pm.
Eccles is a rural Parish in the south of Berwickshire bounded on the north by the Parish of Fogo, on the east by the Parishes of Swinton and Coldstream and by the English border, on the south by the Parishes of Sprouston and Ednam and on the west by the Parishes of Hume and Greenlaw.
Old Parish Birth Records exist from 1699 to 1854.
1841 census Eccles.
See our sales list for full details and cost of postage.
|Eccles Parish Church|
Pre 1855 Memorial inscriptions of Berwickshire by David Cargill.
The Churches and Churchyards of Berwickshire by G.A.C. Binnie.
C.D. The Churches and Churchyards of Berwickshire by James Robson 1896.
Trotter of Prentonan by George Baird Trotter.
Index to Particular Register of Sasines for Berwickshire.
Pigot's 1837 Directory of Berwickshire and Roxburghshire.
Rutherford's Southern Counties Register and Directory 1867.
C.D. Slater's Directory of Berwickshire 1903.
County Directory of Scotland 1912 - Borders Towns and Villages.
Please note that the heading Author includes persons who have compiled or transcribed records; and that the topics indexed, and the synopses are subjective opinions.
See the Sales List to buy copies of the magazines containing articles in which you're interested.
|Title||Synopsis||Size Description||Issue No||Author|
|A Cockburn Family in Berwickshire and Its Descendants - The Book||The author's Cockburn family history - mostly recent.||3 pages or more||24||Andrew Cockburn|
|Galashiels Murrays in New South Wales||Murrays first came to the fore in Eccles, follow them through generations. There is also a very touching letter in the article.||2 pages or more||10||Donald Wyte|
The 20 most common surnames on gravestones recorded by us in the Eccles (with Birgham and Leitholm) monumental inscriptions volume are (number of gravestones in brackets): ROBERTSON (26), SCOTT (25), WOOD (25), WILSON (23), BELL (20), YOUNG (19), WALKER (18), BROWN (17), DICKSON (17), PURVES (16), TURNBULL (16), MCDOUGALL (16), ALLAN (14), JOHNSTON (14), JEFFREY (14), HENDERSON (14), SMITH (13), PATTERSON (13), STEWART (12), DODDS (11).
Eccles Parish Church;
Eccles Free Church;
Genuki has published a list of maps and plans available for consultation within the National Archives of Scotland.
Some detailed history of the Parish
Birgham Community Website
First Statistical Account by the Rev. Mr. Adam Murray (click "browse scanned images" and insert Parish name).
Second Statistical Account by the Rev. James Thomson (click "browse scanned pages" and insert Parish name).
RCHAMS website Scotland's Places contains details of;
Farm Horse tax 1797-1798.
Medical Officer's of Health Reports 1891.
Land Ownership Commission Report 1872 -1873.
Eccles, Womerlaw, Kingsridge, Bartlehill, Eccles Shiell, Harlaw, Hassington Mains, Belmount, Kennetsideheads, Burnhouse, Hassington,
Overmains, Loanknow, Spring Well, White Bank, Pittlesheugh Plough Land, Thirlington, Stonefold, Hardacres, Cross Hall, Anns Grove, Fernyridge,
Newtown, Whitridge, Sunnyside, Bankhead, Orange Lane, Purveshall, Eccles Tofts, Herdrigg, West Printonan, East Printonan, Earnslaw, Lochrigg,
Boughtrigg, Kames East Mains, Kames West Mains, Mersington, Leitholm, Belville, Belvale, Belchester, Grizzlerigg, Moorsfield,
Stoneridge Mains, Antonshill, Birgham, Ayton Hall, Homebank, Wester Fireburn, Birgham Haugh, Haigsfield, Cloverhall, Greenlees, Blinkbonny,
Lochfield, St. Foin, Lochton, Springhill.
1851 census: Eccles, Wormerlaw, Kingsrigg, Bartlehill, Eccles Shiells, Harlaw, Hassington Mains, Belmount, Kennetsideheads, Hassington, Loanknow, Overmains, Birgham, Ayton Hall, Springhill, Lochton, Sain Foin, Blinkbonny, Greenlees, Cloverhall, Homebank, Haigsfield, Springwell, Ploughland, Whitebank, Purvishall, Thirlington, Stonefold, Brae, Hardacres, Pittleseugh, Crosshall, Ann's Grove, Newton, Ferryrigg, Whitrig, Sunnyside, Bankhead, Orange Lane, Eccles Tofts, Herdrigg, West Printonan, East Printonan, Earnslaw, Lochrigg, Kames East Mains, Boughtrigg, Lanrigg, Kames, Mersington, Leitholm Mill, Belville, Belchester, Grizzlerig, Moorsfield, Stoneridge, Antonhill, West Leitholm, Leitholm.
1861 census: Eccles, Eccles Shiells, Bartlehill, Kingsrig, Wormerlaw, Harlaw, Hassington, Belmount, Kennetsideheads, Burnhouse, Overmains, Loanknow, Belmount, Sain Foin, Lochton, Springhill, Birgham, Ayton Hall, Home Bank, Haigs Field, Wester Fire Burn Mill, Clover Hall, Greenlees, Blinkbonny, Orange Lane, Stoolfoothall, Bankhead, Sunnyside, Whitrigg, Fairney Rigg, Newtown, Cross Hall, Anns Grove, White Bank, Pittlesheugh, Hardacres, Stonefold, Brae, Thirlington, Purves Hall, Ploughland, Springwells, Mersington, Ecclestofts, Herdrigg, West Printonan, East Printonan, Earnslaw, Lochrigg, Kames, Boughtrigg, Longrigg, Kames, Mersington, Leitholm, Belville, Belchester, Grizzlerig, Moorsfield, Stoneridge Mains, Anton' s Hill, Bridgend.
The population has been recorded as follows; 1755 - 1489, 1801 -1682, 1811 -1820, 1821 -1900, 1831-1885, 1841 - 1946, 1851 - 1892, 1861 - 1861.