This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo
Home Join
Publications Research Maps &
Blog Other
Contacts What's

Our archive and search room is now open on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10am to 4pm. Keep up to date via our Facebook page and Twitter.


Peeblesshire map

Drumelzier stretches across the south of the county of Peebles. It is bordered on the north by the parish of Stobo, to the east by the parish of Manor and by the parish of Yarrow in Selkirkshire, to the south by the parish of Yarrow and the parish of Tweedsmuir and by Lanarkshire to the west and the parish of Broughton, Glenholm and Kilbucho to the north-west. Drumelzier is now one of the linked parishes of Upper Tweeddale.

Tinnis Castle would have dominated the village in the middle ages although it is not as well preserved as the nearby Drumelzier Castle.

Old Parish Records cover the periods:

  • Births: 1649-1694, 1700-1754 (Mothers' names are not recorded until Dec 1746)
  • Marriages: 1649-1694, 1700-1813
  • Deaths: 1649-1811, 1826-1854
Drumelzier Parish Church Drumelzier Parish Church

Sales List

The Society is currently transcribing the Drumelzier Monumental (gravestone) Inscriptions

See our sales list for full details and cost of postage.

Volumes available for consultation within our Archive

Magazine Articles

Please note that the heading Author includes persons who have compiled or transcribed records; and that the topics indexed, and the synopses are subjective opinions.
See the Sales List to buy copies of the magazines containing articles in which you're interested.

Title Synopsis Size Description Issue No Author
Drumelzier SmithsA reaction to the article 'Grandpa Johnston's Reminiscences' Issue 107, and the connection to blacksmiths, Drumelzier and Crookhaugh. The author x6 great grandfather John Findlayson was a blacksmith in Drumelzier, and the history of this family is summarised.less than 1 page 108Susan Brownjohn 
Grandpa Johnston's ReminiscencesA consolidated reflection of the account of his heritage and the recollections by James Johnston(e) (1825-1902) a blacksmith born in Tweedsmuir, and who died in Edinburgh. He traced is family back to the 17th century, with many forefathers buried in Drumelzier, with most men working as smiths in Tweedsmuir. James was sent to school 2 miles away in Tweedsmuir, with peat the primary fuel. The Crook Inn was the main posting and coaching stop between Edinburgh and Dumfries. There are tales of problems with the post in bad weather, and of the families running the Crook Inn. The Johnston family moved to Eddleston in 1838 with stories about the journey and the celebrations of the coronation of Queen Victoria. James moved to the school in Eddleston, with a very strict approach compared to Tweedsmuir. The family had to relocate to Macbiehill as the leaseholder re-took possession of the smiddy. Linton was the next location, and then training in Edinburgh as a veterinarian. In the late 1800s many of the family, including James's wife, son and daughter died from different afflictions. Based on transcripts sent to the Editor by Kath Baines.6 pages or more 107Editor 
Peeblesshire Families and ClansThe history of a few Peeblesshire families, Tweedies, Naesmiths, Gledstanes, Veitches, and others. Some very interesting stories come from this chapter.3 pages or more 33Malcolm Archibald 
Finlaysons of Goseland Farm, KilbunchoA journey tracing the author's links to the Finlaysons of Goseland Farm Kilbuncho, Peeblesshire.2 pages or more 97Susan Brownjohn 
Fourth Cousins MeetA brief update on the story "Finlaysons of Goseland Farm Kilbucho" Issue 96 June 2018 p. 14. The Sandilands family are seen to have roots with the Finlaysons near Drumelzier. The meeting with the Canadian 4th cousin.less than 1 page 111Sue Brownjohn 
Gravestone PhotosA note on a facility provided by the Society to photograph individual gravestones, a report on one such request for a photograph of a stone to the Rev. Gilmour Neil in Drumelzier and a note on his experiences in World War 1 and how he sought to find " a little Parish, a thousand miles from anywhere".1 page or more 81Ronald Morrison 
Broughton Free Church RecordsInformation on the book 'Broughton Free Kirk and Thereabouts 1842-1943' compiled by the Rev David Marshall Forrester in 1943.less than 1 page 97 

Map of Drumelzier from UK Great Britain, Ordnance Survey one-inch to the mile (1:63,360), 'Hills' edition, 1885-1903
by kind permission of the National Library of Scotland.
Use the control at the top left of the map to zoom in or out and drag the map left, right, up, or down as you wish.

Map of Drumelzier from UK Ordnance Survey Historical Maps from 1919-1947
by kind permission of the National Library of Scotland.
Use the control at the top left of the map to zoom in or out and drag the map left, right, up, or down as you wish.

Other Sources

Scottish Borders Archives, The Hub Hawick

School Records

Poor Law

The National Archives of Scotland

Drumelzier kirk session records (Ref - CH2/95)

Berwickshire Naturalist' Club has published the following articles;


Place and Farm names appearing in census records

1841 census: Bellspool, Burnfoot, Dalwick, Drumelzier, Easter Stanhope, Haugh Stable, Hopkarton, Kingledors, Kinledoors Hope, Patervan, Polmood, Warde, Wester Dalwick, Wester Stanhope.

1851 census: 1851 census: Bellspool, Dalwick., Drumelzier, Drumelzier Haugh, Hopkarton, Kingledoor, Petervan, Polmood, Stanhope, Ward, Wester Dalwick.

1861 census: 1861 census: Barn Yard, Bellspool, Drumelzier, Drumelzier Haugh, Hopcarton, Kingledoors, Kingledoors Hope, Patervan, Polmood, Stanhope, Wester Dalwick.


Here are some figures showing the parish's population through time:

Peeblesshire Map