This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo

Home Join
Us
Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Borders FHS Forum
Borders FHS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Borders Family History
 People and Ancestry
 Andrew Walker and Alison Lockie...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

springer

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 05 June 2017 :  14:58:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Posting from British Columbia, Canada.

Andrew Walker and Alison Lockie are my great grandparents x 3. I am fairly convinced that Andrew was born to William Walker and Janet Kerr in Yetholm, Dec 6, 1776, and baptized Dec. 25, 1776.

Most family trees have it that Alison Lockie was born in Smailholm, 1779 to Alexander Lockie and Alison Cowtard (Coutard?).

However, there also was an Alison Lockie born in Lauder, 1777, to James Lockie and Jean Wood. Notably, Lauder also happens to be where Andrew's and Alison's first child was born in 1803, Alexander Dawson Walker. Shortly thereafter they moved to Westruther where some of their children were born and baptized. Andrew Jr was next baptized in Greenlaw, and their last child, George, was baptized in Cranshaws.

I have searched high and low throughout the Scottish Border region, to the extent I can online, for a marriage record for Andrew and Alison, which I believe would answer the question as to which Alison is my ancestor, but without success.

Ultimately, Andrew and Alison immigrated to the Argenteuil regions of Quebec, Canada, circa 1835. Their eldest daughter, Alison, b1805, preceded them. She married William Blow, my grandfather x 2, in 1831 in the Church of Scotland, Chatham, Quebec.

If anyone can shed light on the marriage place and time of Andrew and Alison, would certainly be appreciated.

terianne

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 07 June 2017 :  11:15:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they may be non-conformist - so may not appear in the OPR - you will have to look via the church records (which are not online yet)for their marriage

Anne Turnbull
Go to Top of Page

springer

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 13 June 2017 :  20:44:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Anne!

That's what I was afraid of! I'm a long way from Scotland!

Do you think those records will be available online any time soon?

Meanwhile, hoping that someone will come along and say, I know this family!

Best!

Al
Go to Top of Page

terianne

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 14 June 2017 :  11:28:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
some have been inputed in to the new Scotlandspeople site under other church records - I know east bank hawick is on it, one in jedburgh, one in kelso ,etc

not sure if this being extended

might be worth checking

NB: these records can overlap with OPR and are pre 1855

Anne Turnbull
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Borders FHS Forum © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000