This website uses cookies. To read more about them, click 'cookies stored'. To accept our cookies, click the check box then press 'Continue'.

Borders Family History Society

Society Logo

Home Join
Us
Publications Research Maps &
Parishes
Forums Other
Websites
Contacts What's
On
Blog Help

Borders FHS Forum
Borders FHS Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Borders Family History
 People and Ancestry
 Reformed Presbyterian Church 1760s
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JimJeffrey

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2017 :  18:33:32  Show Profile  Visit JimJeffrey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm fairly certain that my Jeffrey ancestry goes through an "Andrew Jeffrey," and his wife, Katherine Steele. According to "Scotland Marriages, 1561-1910," they were married in Fogo, Berwick, Scotland on 20 Jun 1760. In addition, there is a tomb stone in the Chirnside Parish Churchyard, that reads, "Ceatherine Steel spouse to Andreu Jafery 19.3.1776 40 yrs. Andrew Jeffery smith and feuer in Chirnside 12.2.1810 76 yrs. son Peter Jeffrey 1811 49 yrs." I'm reasonably certain that this is the same Andrew and Katherine.
However, other than the mention of their son, Peter, on the tomb stone, there is no mention in all the OPRs of any children born to them, including William Jeffrey, who is my direct ancestor. There is evidence that they were well connected to the Reformed Presbyterian Church In Scotland (also called Cameronians), probably in Chirnside, which would explain this.
Are there any suggestions on how to find out information about the children of Andrew Jeffrey and Katherine Steele, outside of the OPRs? Andrew was said to be the first Presbytery elder appointed in the Chirnside Reformed Church in the 1780s, along with their first minister, Rev. John Reid.

Jim Jeffrey

terianne

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2017 :  10:58:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim

the Cameronians are non-conformists, so most records will not appear on the OPR - you need to look at the church records - most of the borders records are supposed to by held at the heritage hub in Hawick, if not check with the National Archive of Scotland in Edinburgh

Anne Turnbull
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Borders FHS Forum © 2000-06 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000